How am I exposed to indoor mold?
Mold is found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It is common to find mold spores in the air of homes growing on damp surfaces. Everyone is exposed to mold on a daily basis without evident harm. Mold spores primarily cause health problems when they enter the air and are inhaled in large amounts. People can also be exposed to mold through skin contact and eating.
Who is at greater risk when exposed to mold?
Exposure to mold is not healthy for anyone inside buildings. It is important to quickly identify and correct and moisture sources and remediate the mold before health problems develop. The following individuals appear to be at higher risk for adverse health effects of mold:
Infants and children
Those with reduced immune defense (people with HIV infection, cancer, liver disease, etc.)
Pregnant women with existing respiratory conditions such as: allergies, multiple chemical sensitivity and asthma
How much mold can make me sick?
It depends. For some
people, a relatively small number of mold spores can cause
health problems. For other people, it may take many more.
The basic rule is, if you can see or smell it, take steps
to eliminate the excess moisture, and to cleanup and remove
the mold. According to the Center for Disease Control,
if you are susceptible to mold and mold is seen or smelled,
there is a potential health risk; therefore, no matter
what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its